Friday, October 19, 2007

MSNBC defines "values voters" as only those who share right-wing Christian values

Yesterday (Fri) I watched quite alot of news coverage on MSNBC and was disturbed by the fact that they constantly refer ed to the people attending the right-wing Christian conference in D.C. this weekend as "values voters." This seems to me to imply that they are the only voters who are making their decisions based on values.

If they had referred to them as right-wing Christian values voters that would have been much more accurate.

I have never selected a candidate to vote for except on the basis of my values.

It seems to me that "peace" is a value. It seems to me that believing that children should have adequate medical coverage (whether their parents can afford it or not) is a value. It seems to me that being in favor of women controlling their own bodies is a value.

The adoption of the right-wing Christian definition of what this weekend's conference is all about results in an inaccurate picture of the electorate and its motivations.

No comments: