Monday, June 27, 2005

Gay Pride 2005: From liberation to commercialization


The 2005 Gay Pride March:From liberation to commercialization. What's happened to this once politically exciting march? Today what was there? Basically two types of participation: politicians running for office and commercials for products.
There was virtually no reference to the key issue of gay marriage (I know the community is divided over its significance, but almost nothing?). This is not the Gay Pride March I remember when the community was under attack, and it is. Remember 1978 and Anita Bryant? Can anyone say George W. Bush?
Oh, by the way, one more question: where was Hillary Clinton? Was she so busy with Billy Graham that she couldn't take time out to march. I know she's not running this year, but does "fair-weather friend." mean anything?
Usually I know a dozen people in the march, this year I knew one, that tells me a lot.
Ah well, here are the photos.
(photo by Dan Cohen, Contestedterrain.blogspot.com)  Posted by Hello

No comments: